While some people continue to debate who is to be held accountable for Mas Selamat Kastari’s escape, Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong believes the more urgent task is to stay on top of problems like soaring food prices.
Straits Times, 27 April
A familiar pattern whenever scandals involving government wrongdoing/negligence/incompetence break out is:
- Damage control
- Press reports and comments on only the safe topics
- Blogs come up with conspiracy theories
- Grand exhortation by MM, PM and/or SM, in that order
- Opposition makes a small whimper.
- Press all falls in line, reporting only what the big men have said.
- Forum page articles all show Singaporeans reacting in support of the govt.
- Blogs go ballistic attacking the govt.
- One of the big men says: “Let’s move on”. Agenda is abruptly changed to something relatively unimportant.
- Press obediently complies. Blogs go even more ballistic.
- A few weeks later, everything is forgotten.
- People still vote for the PAP at next election.